" 'I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord. 'Plans for welfare and not for calamity, to give you a future and a hope.' " Jeremiah 29:11




Monday, May 23, 2011

Living at the Speed of Life







Let's face it. In the English speaking western world we are in a hurry. Your computer is too slow; your microwave oven takes forever especially when you stand in front of it tapping your foot. And don't get me started on the one SLOW guy on the road who is in front of you.




But what is wrong with being in a hurry? Isn't that the American way? Isn't that how we are supposed to succeed?




I would argue that this is less a matter of getting things done and more a matter of the heart.




If you are in a constant hurry, it says two things are true about your heart:




  • I don't have what I need.


  • I am personally responsible for getting it.


"I don't have what I need" says that I know better than God or anyone else. It also assumes that somehow God is holding out on me.



Do you remember the lie in Genesis 3? The lie spoken by Satan basically said, "God knows that you will be like Him if you eat of this tree." The idea was that God was holding out on Adam and Eve. And the same lie exists today. The enemy says, "God is holding out on you - His heart is NOT for you." Hurry is just another way we believe the same old lie. We put our judgment ahead of God's because we think God's heart is not for us.



"I am personally responsible for getting it" says that I believe I am on my own and that no one, not even God is on my side, looking out for me.



So here is your homework assignment.


1) Get nine hours a sleep daily.



2) Drive the speed limit - I know what you're thinking. But I took a trip from Denver to Wichita and back, 530 miles each way. I drove the speed limit and it was relaxing.



3) Come to a full stop at all stop signs.



4) When in a store with multiple checkout lanes, take the longest line.



Try it for a week and see what happens. Let me know what worked and what didn't work for you.



Remember, this is not about your schedule. It is about your heart!



No comments:

Post a Comment